The Cleveland Browns have cut 17 players, including wide receiver Demetrius Williams and defensive back Coye Francies, to shrink their roster to 63, with 10 more cuts still to be announced to get to the 53-man limit mandated for the beginning of the season.
Among the cuts by position were:
- Defensive Backs -- Coye Francies, Carl Gettis, Ramzee Robinson and DeAngelo Smith
- Defensive Ends -- Andre Caroll
- Defensive Tackles -- Travis Ivey and Ko Quaye
- Linebackers -- Eric Gordon, Steve Octavien and Sidney Tarver
- Tackles -- Branndon Braxton, Calton Ford and Phil Trautwein
- Tight Ends -- Evan Frosch
- Wide Receivers -- L.J. Castile, Chris Matthews and Demetrius Williams
Williams was signed last October after playing four seasons with the Baltimore Ravens, and Francis was a 2009 6th-round pick by the Browns.
Stay tuned for the next wave of cuts, coming later today, as the days count down to the season opener on September 11 vs. the Cincinnati Bengals.