clock menu more-arrow no yes

Filed under:

Belmont Stakes 2012: Labor Deal Reached, Erasing Chance For Belmont Strike

The threat of a strike no longer hovers over this weekend's Belmont Stakes, according to the Associated Press and others.

An agreement has been reached between workers from the Belmont racetrack and the New York Racing Association. Workers at the track had been working without a contract since February of 2011 and had threatened to strike unless they got a new contract.

From the AP:

The major issues were overtime and the structure of the tracks' work week. NYRA runs races Wednesday through Sunday, but the contract covers a Monday-through-Friday week, which means union workers earn built-in overtime on weekends. NYRA was seeking to immediately take away overtime for working Saturdays and Sundays, a move the union said would cut some workers' pay by 30 percent.

The NYRA earlier this week said it was troubling that Belmont workers were raising such a fuss on the week of the Belmont, which is expected to draw about 100,000 spectators.

For more on the Belmont Stakes and the race for the Triple Crown, stay with this Story Stream. You can also check out SB Nation's horse racing blog And Down The Stretch They Come. You can also watch SB Nation's YouTube channel:

Photographs by spatulated, Triple Tri, and chrischappelear used in background montage under Creative Commons. Thank you.