Athletes from around the country are headed to London to represent America in the 2012 Olympics, facing off with other nations as part of a team or as individuals in a wide variety of sports. The the Opening Ceremony is scheduled for Friday, July 27 and the Games continue through Aug. 12.
There are a number of Ohio natives headed to London as part of Team USA, including Holley Mangold. The young woman from Dayton has already seen a considerable amount of press coverage in her quest for weightlifting gold. Cincinnati's Heather Mitts plays defense on the US Women's soccer team that took second at the 2011 FIFA Women's World Cup, and female Judoka Kayla Harrison has special motivation stemming from her years in as a judo practitioner.
The 2012 London Games also feature the return of some of the biggest athletes from the 2008 Beijing Games, including Michael Phelps. The all-star roster of NBA players going for Olympic gold includes some veterans from 2008 and some new faces, including No. 1 draft pick Anthony Davis.
A complete list of Ohio athletes representing the United States in London:
- Athlete - Hometown - Event
- Nick Thoman - Cincinnati - Swimming (100m backstroke)
- Abby Johnston - Columbus - Diving (3m synchronized)
- Heather Mitts - Cincinnati - Soccer
- Jacob Wukie - Oak Harbor - Archery
- Terrell Gausha - Cleveland - Boxing (Middleweight)
- Rau'Shee Warren - Cincinnati - Boxing (Flyweight)
- Lee Kiefer - Cleveland - Fencing (Foil)
- Kayla Harrison - Middletown - Judo
- Peter Graves - Cincinnati - Rowing
- Holley Mangold - Dayton - Weightlifting
- Scott Parsons - Toledo - Canoeing (K-1 Slalom)
- Justin Lester - Akron - Wrestling
- Katie Bell - Columbus - Diving
- Margot Shumway - Cincinnati - Rowing
- Bridget Franek - Mantua - Track & Field (3000m Steeplechase)
- Tianna Madison - Elyria - Track & Field (100m)
Stick with SB Nation Cleveland for coverage of local athletes going for gold in the 2012 London Olympics. For coverage on all aspects of the game, don't miss SB Nation's Olympics hub.