clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

2013 Bowl update: Kent State trails Arkansas State at halftime, 14-10

The No. 25 Kent State Golden Flashes and Arkansas State Red Wolves in the Bowl finally got their offenses going in the final three minutes of the first half on Sunday night after close to 30 minutes of defensive battles. Arkansas State leads after a late touchdown, 14-10.

Arkansas State began the second quarter with the possession but gave the ball right back on a quick three-and-out. The Golden Flashes needed only one play to strike deep into Red Wolves' territory. Running back Dri Archer took the handoff on a reverse, cut it up field and broke several tackles for a 44-yard gain to put Kent State at the 22-yard line. The drive almost stalled after an incomplete pass on third down, but a pass interference call against Arkansas State gave Kent State new life. On the next play, Archer took the ball and again worked his magic, scampering 16 yards for the first touchdown of the game.

After two penalties on Kent State wide receiver Matthew Hurdle following the score, the Golden Flashes were forced to kick off from their own 10-yard line. Arkansas State did not immediately reap the benefits of their great field position, but following a Kent State three-and-out, the Red Wolves marched down the short field. Running back David Oku eventually punched it in with 5:40 remaining in the half to tie the game, 7-7.

Quarterback Ryan Aplin and the Arkansas State offense took the ball with just over three minutes remaining, but they did not go away quietly. Aplin engineered an efficient nine-play, 88-yard drive capped off by a 31-yard touchdown pass to J.D. McKissic to take a 14-7 lead. Kent State did not go quietly either. Dri Archer returned the ensuing kickoff past midfield to set up an eventual 42-yard field goal to cut into the lead, 14-10.

Photographs by spatulated, Triple Tri, and chrischappelear used in background montage under Creative Commons. Thank you.